Monday, April 11, 2011
Two cooking victories this week!
These are so small in he scheme of things, but they have brought me such happiness...
Since I have lived at high altitude for 11+ years now, you would think I would be an expert at high-altitude baking by now, right? Nope, not so much. My cakes over-rise, collapse, and the texture is crummy and terrible. Pancakes come out like inch-thick hockey picks. Seriously!
So this week I made Jim's birthday cake (from a mix, of course) and before I made it I fired up my trusty internet and tried to learn something about high-altitude baking adjustments. From what I learned, I decided to simply add one extra egg to the mix and raise the baking temperature. Voila! Beautiful cake, not over-risen, no collapse, and decent texture!
Add to that success my mom's suggestions to make good pancakes from Krusteaz pancake mix. Add an egg and use half milk/half water instead of just water. Amazing! The pancakes came out fluffy and Yummy and light!
And so, I have two cooking victories this week! Score one for the stay-at-home mama!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment