Monday, October 13, 2008

Ski Exercise Training System -- wish me luck!

So, after seeing some pictures of me in my bathing suit at Lake Powell (no, I'm not going to share here!) I decided that I need to get my butt in shape before ski season starts at the end of November. Last year, my skiing abilities really took a big step forward, but my fitness level was such that I had a hard time taking advantage of what I knew how to do.

This year, I'm determined to get into better shape for skiing. I petered off my mountain biking a little early this year (not for any good reason, just got lazy, and now the trails are too wet :-( ). I decided to get a ski conditioning program off the 'net that I could do at home.

So I got the Ski Exercise Training System (or S.E.T.S.) program. I downloaded all the components (four different phases), and started the first phase, Adaptation Optimizer, this morning. It's a tough core workout to start with. I'm going to do that three times a week, at least, for one to three weeks before moving on to Phase II, Base Builder.

Being probably overly ambitious, I'm also going to start back up with my Couch to 5K running program on the treadmill on the days I don't do the SETS.

So, wish me luck! And post comments every once in a while to keep me accountable, willya? I'll try to post at least once a week about my progress, if I remember.

Happy ski season!

Update: Mission accomplished today. 1 SETS. Run: 5:00 minute walking warmup; 20 mins. of alternating 1 min. running, 1.5 mins. walking. So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment