Thursday, February 18, 2010

A very lazy week!

The girls are off school this week for Presidents' Week (yes, in a ski town, it's called Presidents' Week, not just Presidents' Day!). We have been very, very, VERY lazy this whole week.

Because the girls have been having a lot of trouble getting along lately, I wanted us to stay home and just work on the issue. The first couple of days had some rough patches, but we worked on it and today has just been a joy.

To start with, I stayed up WAY too late last night watching the Olympics... WTG Lindsey Vonn and Julia Mancuso!!!! So I think I crawled into bed at about 2:00 a.m.

The girls were up at about 7:30 this morning, but we've been working on them not having to come get me the instant they wake up, so they actually let me sleep in.

In fact, they fixed their own breakfast and played happily (ecstatically, even!) until at least 10:30. (Seriously, I did not get out of bed until 10:30 this morning... I told you, lazy days!).

And that happy-playing pattern has continued more or less all day today. I haven't been privy to everything they've done today, but the following is a partial list of the activities they have engaged in today:

* built a "snake" out of markers by hooking the markers end to end and dragging the "snake" all over the house, laughing hysterically;

* had some kind of cup-kicking derby that involved all the red plastic drinking cups being stacked up and kicked over repeatedly;

* making a giant foam pit out of the window-seat pillows and jumping off the couch into the foam pit over and over and over (this one even involved getting hurt, but they still kept playing it for close to an hour!)

* an art project involving markers, scissors, paper, glue and hearts

* another art project involving blue creamy crayons, water, paint brushes, paper, and more cutting with scissors

* some kind of swimming game that required them all to put on swimsuits and run all over the house

And now they are happily ensconced in the tv room watching recorded episodes of Martha Speaks.

Sad to say that about the only thing I have accomplished today is reminding them to clean up (which they happily did for a change), and reading an entire The Week cover to cover in pretty much one sitting with my lunch.

A good day? Yeah, I'd say that's a good day. Definitely couldn't live like this every day without going stir crazy, but it's fun to have a "home" day every once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment