Saturday, August 29, 2009

A very boring post

Sorry, I know you all are waiting breathlessly for a travelogue of our mediterranean cruise, but this is not that post!

Since I got home, I have been on a rampage to get my house cleaned and organized the way I have always wanted it. I have completed the living room (well, except for the rock that needs to be put up around the fireplace and a couple pieces of furniture I want to pick up). Today, I finished the visible parts of the kitchen (the invisible parts, ie. inside the cupboards, will wait). Earlier this week, I made significant progress on the girls' rooms.

We are still awaiting the installation of carpet in our master bedroom, my office, the stairs, and all of the downstairs. But the wood floor is finished. Other than the fact that I now have a very visible reminder of exactly how much dirt and hair must have been laid down in my carpets (ick!) I love the new floors. The dogs drive me crazy, but haven't scratched them up too badly yet. And I'm getting the hang of cleaning them (much more often than I ever vacuumed my carpets... again ick!).

My biggest projects remaining are now the pantry, several shelves of which I have tackled, but they seem to have reverted already; the back hallway, which actually shouldn't be too hard now that the puppy doesn't chew everything he can find (only half the things); my office; and my long-desired and never obtained craft room.

One of the things I loved about this house when we bought it was the craft room, but it has always been the repository for unpacked boxes, tubs of outgrown clothes, and other flotsam and jetsam that I never seem to get to.

It seems that the girls will be going to full-time school this year starting now instead of in January as we had planned, so I am hopeful that all that extra time (50+ hours a month) will be utilized for fitness, cleaning/maintenance, work, and digging out some of these big projects like the craft room.

Anyway, like I said, a very boring post. But it is exciting for me. As I near 40 years of age and dig out from under life with three little kids, it is exhilirating to me to see my living room free of kid stuff and other detritus... to see my master bedroom a tidy place of calm and serenity... to enjoy my master bathroom instead of dreading the sight of it. Amazing what a difference in my quality of life when I have time to get things cleared away and organized and clean.

P.S. We did take a few pictures on our cruise, though not very many, and I will get them organized and put into a post soon. They are uploaded and on the external HD so there is hope!

1 comment:

  1. I agree - it really is amazing the difference a clean and tidy house can make to one's health and wellbeing!
    Sounds like you have tackled a lot since you got back. I am anxious to see all your work.

    ReplyDelete