Friday, November 20, 2009

I've succumbed to the vampires!

Oh dear! I avoided the Harry Potter mania for a long time... finally read the first book and absolutely hated it. Seriously, I thought the writing was dreadful, the plot predictable, and just couldn't find one redeeming thing about it. Never did read the second or subsequent books.

Now I've been avoiding the Twilight vampire thing for a few years. Everyone I know has read the series. I just wasn't interested.

Of course, then I get my Kindle, and one night I'm avoiding reading something serious (Tell Them You're One of Us) and go surfing for a light, easy read. I stumbled on Twilight, read the "sample" first chapter and I was hooked.

I just finished the third one last night, and I'm hankering to read the fourth so I can have it over and done with. The writing? It's ok. Not great, but certainly not terrible. The second and third books could have used a really good edit, especially compared to the first.

The characters are somewhat annoying. But they are appealing in their annoyingness. Suffice it to say that I will finish the fourth book and then hopefully Stephanie Meyers won't write any more! If she does, I'll probably read that too!

I am really enjoying this light reading... I've read way too much heavy stuff and non-fiction this year (and I have NOT kept up with my Shelfari list down at the bottom, which is at least a year out of date -- maybe that will be an update project for the Thanksgiving holiday!).

Now to see the first two movies and figure out if I like the books better as a movie?!

1 comment:

  1. I read the first one a year ago and just last week picked up New Moon. I am hooked on it too! It's just such an easy read...the Twighlight Movie (the first one) was cheesy...but much better the second time. I hear the New Moon one has more action with the werewolfs and all. I'll see it once the hype is down a little.

    ReplyDelete