Thursday, November 19, 2009

There is no escaping the Disney Princess machine!

Those who know me (is there anyone who doesn't know me who reads this blog?) know that I am not a fan of Disney. Even less so of the Disney Princesses. My aversion to all things Disney princess started when I saw Disney's The Little Mermaid for the first time and saw how Disney took a cautionary feminist tale about not longing for things that aren't good for you and the terrible price to be paid for trying to change who you are into a rom-com! *sigh*

Anyway, I have three little girls (*duh!*) and although we have not had a television during their short lifetimes and we have gone out of our way to stay away from Disney princesses where possible, I have learned that it is just about impossible to raise three girls in the US without having some level of exposure to the Disney Princess machine. I am, strangely enough, actually ok with this.

None of my girls is obsessed with the Disney princesses, or princesses in general either. It is a healthy part of their fantasy life, but they are just as likely to pretend they are dogs or horses or a mama and baby as a princess.

All of this is a long lead-in to my current dilemma, which is that M-Moo and K-Wiggles have asked for two birthday cakes this year. M-Moo wants Ariel and K-Wiggles wants Sleeping Beauty. I find this somewhat humorous, as they have never seen the Sleeping Beauty movie and they've seen The Little Mermaid maybe a handful of times. They have no idea what the storylines to these movies are, or any of the other characters.

They just see these beautiful dolls with sparkly clothes and that's what they want for a birthday cake! So today and tomorrow I am off to see what Michaels and any other cake-decorating store I can think of has for Ariel and Aurora cake-decorating accessories. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Yup, not a lot you can do. Mine were never obsessed with them either, but Emma (more than the other 2) went through a Disney Princess phase. Had to laugh about the cakes...when Emma turned three she decided months in advance on a Blue's Clues party theme, even though she rarely watched the show. Leading up to the party, I even tried to get her to watch it, but she didn't really want to. I think she just thought Blue was cute!

    ReplyDelete