Friday, January 16, 2009

Book Review - Bright, Shiny Morning

I really enjoyed this book. It is definitely a non-traditional narrative, which is not usually my piece of cake. There are, I think, 5 main narratives, none of them interwoven with any of the others, so it's kind of like reading 5 novellas. And then in between each chapter, there is a one-paragraph page that gives a little snippet of the history of Los Angeles. All of the 5 main narratives are about people living in Los Angeles. There are also intermittent pages of descriptive stuff, like all of the freeways in Los Angeles, or 100 Good Things You Never Knew about Los Angeles, stuff like that.

I'm not very good at explaining just why a particular book captivates me (just ask Mrs. Verzier, my 4th grade reading teacher -- I love reading books, but I'm hopeless at book reports!). But anyway, this book was very good. The writing style is odd... doesn't use a lot of punctuation. More than once I had to go back and re-read a sentence as its meaning could be quite different once you put in the (maybe) intended punctuation.

I do recommend it, though I hesitate to give it highest marks, just because it is so different and that might turn some people off.

No comments:

Post a Comment