Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The third level of tantrum hell.

So I was thinking a while back that I've pretty much been through the wringer on the whole tantrum thing. I mean, Miss D was a two-year-old when the littles were infants. K-Wiggles pretty much brought down the barn on the tantrum thing for 6 months, waking up every day basically throwing a tantrum and not stopping until well after she was asleep (I swear, the girl threw tantrums in her sleep!). I was just the other day talking about how nice it is that K-Wiggles now comes up in the morning and is pleasant and happy and fun to be around, and the frequency and intensity and duration of her tantrums have diminished significantly.

So enter the M-Moo tantrum. M-Moo is by far my most stubborn child (and they're all three stubborn, dagnabbit). She also knows how to push my buttons probably better than any of my children (though Miss D is close on some days).

Tonight, we got in our jammies extra early, had a nice breakfast-for-dinner, and were playing trampoline on the living room furniture together, interspersed with wild and crazy singing and dancing. When it was getting close to bedtime, I did the usual transition/warning stuff. And then I said "ok, everybody, let's go brush teeth."

Apparently, I said this in some kind of secret code that completely pissed off M-Moo, because she immediately said "no." Ok, I'm pretty go-with-the-flow on a lot of things, but brushing teeth is one that I don't let go. So I explained that M-Moo had a choice, she could either get her toothbrush, or I would get it for her. She just said "no," so I went and got her toothbrush.

And thus started the Great-Toothbrush-Meltdown! This child tantrumed for a solid 45 minutes. First it was that she didn't want to get her toothbrush, ok, I got it. Then she didn't want to pick a toothpaste, so I picked for her. Then she didn't want to brush her teeth, so I brushed them for her. Then she didn't want to go down to bed, so I carried her down.

Then, upon getting into bed, she decided she wanted to brush her teeth. Can you say stalling tactic? *insert mama-head-exploding icon here*

Well, that train had already left the station, so I patiently explained to her that I was so glad she wanted to brush her teeth and that she would get another chance to do that tomorrow.

To make a long story short (ok, too late again!), she tantrumed in her bed for another 15 minutes while I read Miss D a story and K-Wiggles, bless her heart, laid in her bed looking at her book and wondering when her sister's head would fly off her body.

Finally, I heard pathetic whimpers of "mama" instead of the blood-curdling screams I'd been hearing. So I went in to hear M-Moo say "mama, can you put my blanket on?"

*insert slapping-forehead icon here*

Can someone please explain to me the psychology of the three-year-old tantrum and why a child who will not make a simple decision just wants to scream and holler about whatever decision I make for her?

Oh, and I forgot the part where I patiently stood by her bed while she said nothing (except maybe "go away), but if I made one move toward the door the blood-curdling screams would start again. Am I crazy, or am I being manipulated here?! (No, don't answer that, I already know).

Anyway, just thought I'd share a thankfully not-so-typical bedtime at Casa Llamedos.

1 comment: