Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Potty learning!

So, at the beginning of last week, I bit the bullet and decided to have K-Wiggles go cold turkey into panties. I figured her sister had accomplished potty learning (for the most part, anyway) and she was over three years old, and, well, I was just tired of diapers and pullups and all the money and dirty bums, etc.

The first week was tough. K-Wiggles had gone pee on the potty maybe twice? Ever. So the first few days were definitely a non-stop pee-on-the-floor fest. She was a bit resistant, saying she didn't want to go potty, then having an accident immediately thereafter. Sigh.

Then I discovered that this kid is motivated by "prizes." Mind you, the "prizes" are things like a lifesaver, a skittle, that sort of thing (remember, this is my one kid that doesn't like chocolate -- whatever?!). For some reason, if I ask her if she "wants to go win a prize by putting her pee in the potty," that totally does the trick!

She had a few accidents on Saturday. Then Sunday, during our Christmas tree hunt, she was dry except for one accident while we were out in the snow. Then Monday, no accidents. Today, one accident (which was on the way to the potty after getting out of the car). No sign of pooping in the potty yet, but she's getting closer... I'll spare you the details of that description!

Anyway, after almost 5 years of diapers, I'm ready to be diaper-free, at least in the daytime. The littles are both still wearing a diaper at night, but I can deal with 2 diapers a day (actually, when they get up in the morning, they generally take them off, wipe themselves, and get dressed, without me having to do anything -- they even put the dirties in the trash!).

I have no idea when they'll night train. I think Miss D was right around four when she announced she wanted to wear panties to bed, and that was it.

I never thought I'd be a bribery kind of mama, but at this point, whatever works!

No comments:

Post a Comment