So I readily admit that I am no great shakes when it comes to doing hair. My daughter, Miss D, however, has been blessed with abundant, beautiful, gorgeous hair. Seriously, if this girl ever comes to me and tells me she hates her hair -- ever, just once! -- I will take her in and shave her head! Is it ok for me to be jealous of my daughter's hair?Ok, enough comments have been made over her short 4.75 years on the planet that this child KNOWS she has gorgeous hair.
For Christmas, she asked Santa to bring Mama-V a book on doing hair! Can you imagine?
Luckily, Santa is one cool dude, and he found the above book -- fabulous hair -- that is geared toward the tween set and has lots of fun hair do's that don't seem to require 8 hands and a bunch of styling assistants to accomplish.
So Sunday was our first attempt at doing one of the styles from the book. Miss D chose the "Sporty Pony," which I approved because it didn't seem too hard. After gathering some tools (thanks Daddy-J for going out to the garage in a blizzard to find us a spray bottle!), and wetting and brushing the hair, we managed to get an approximation of what was in the book:
Not bad for a first attempt. Miss D was happy with it, and she spent the afternoon with G'Pa Larry and her hair was still mostly out of her face when she got home. Mission accomplished.Oh no no no, not so fast. Of course, the Littles wanted in on the action. This despite the fact that M-Moo has been "blessed" with the finest, straightest, wispiest hair on the planet, and the fact that K-Wiggles absolutely detests having her hair done.
Ok, so into the Lion's den I go.
First, I create this approximation of "Sporty Ponytail" for M-Moo:

Not bad, and she left the ponytails in all day, which she usually doesn't do. I usually find her ripping the ponytail holders (and a bunch of her hair -- maybe that's why it's so thin) out of her head about 15 minutes after I painstakingly (and painfully?) put them in. Argh!
So things were going well, but of course K-Wiggles wanted hers done too. This is where I got a little cocky. I decided to try something called "Mini-Knots." The idea was to make three sections, pony them, then twist and tie into a knot. Cute, right? The picture was cute.
Well, this is what poor K-Wiggles wound up with:
I'll spare you the frontal version... she looks like somebody screwed pigs' tails onto the top of her head. Mind you, she thought it was darned cute and left it in all day. And she was so excited about doing it that she barely fussed at all while I was combing and gel'ing and ponytailing and twisting and bobby pinning.I realized the full folly of poor K-Wiggles' hair do when we took it out later that night....
Wait for it .....
Ok, here ya go:

Is it just me, or does this look like one of Nick Nolte's mug shots?
Yep, they could be cousins, huh?! Weird.


Mama-V you really should write for a comedy show! I haven't laughed so much in ages!
ReplyDeleteOMG... ha ha.. Too funny! And too cute!
ReplyDeleteThat's too funny....how did she like brushing that out the next day? Keep trying...you'll be able to teach me some tricks.
ReplyDelete