Interesting book. I'm not finished yet, but I'm very much enjoying it. Dawkins writes with little sentimentalism and some might find his style condescending or pedantic, but I find him refreshingly blunt. It is interesting to find all his references to various philosophers and theologians that "ring bells" for me from back in my college days. He seems to be great buds with Daniel Dennett, who was very influential in my thinking (and my Honors Thesis) back in the day.
I find myself laughing out loud a lot at some of the things he's written. I already knew I was an atheist, but it is nice to "know" why I am, and that I'm not nearly as alone as I thought. I do need to do an internet search to see if Dawkins has written anything since the inauguration, when Obama included "non-believers" *gasp* in his remarks -- apparently the first reference by a U.S. President to the fact that there are people who don't believe in God. I was so excited to have even a glancing reference to "my people" in the speech that it took a while before I realized that the term "non-believer" wasn't sitting quite right with me. I'm not a "non-believer" in that I don't believe in God. I am an atheist. I believe God doesn't exist. There's a difference, and I don't even think it's subtle.
I am really enjoying Dawkins' explications of "theism" "deism" "agnosticism" and "atheism." Very interesting stuff.
Anyway, I'll save a full review for when I've finished the book (I know, you can't wait!).
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Actually you're right! I can't wait for the full review. It is a VERY interesting book. I like your point about non-believers and atheists. There is a big difference!
ReplyDelete